My research interests include the psychological mechanisms underlying adherence to and violation of social role norms; the influence of stereotypes on people's psychological and interpersonal functioning; social factors that promote and hinder coping and recovery following self-threats; and self-esteem and interpersonal functioning.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Ethics and Morality
- Gender Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Interpersonal Processes
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Social Cognition
- Campbell, W. K., Bosson, J. K., Goheen, T. W., Lakey, C. E., & Kernis, M. H. (2007). Do narcissists dislike themselves “deep down inside”? Psychological Science, 18, 224-226.
- Bosson, J. K., Johnson, A. B., Niederhoffer, K., & Swann, W. B., Jr. (2006). Interpersonal chemistry through negativity: Bonding by sharing negative attitudes about others. Personal Relationships, 13, 135-150.
- Bosson, J. K., Taylor, J. N., & Prewitt-Freilino, J. L. (2006). Gender role violations and identity misclassification: The roles of audience and actor variables. Sex Roles, 55, 13-24.
- Bosson, J. K., Prewitt-Freilino, J. L., & Taylor, J. N. (2005). Role rigidity: A problem of identity misclassification? Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, 89, 552-565.
- Bosson, J. K., Haymovitz, E. L., & Pinel, E. C. (2004). When saying and doing diverge: The effects of stereotype threat on self-reported versus nonverbal anxiety. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 40, 247-255.
- Josephs, R. A., Bosson, J. K., & Jacobs, C. G. (2003). Self-esteem maintenance processes: Why low self-esteem may be resistant to change. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 920-933.
- Bosson, J. K., Brown, R. P., Zeigler-Hill, V., & Swann, W. B., Jr. (2003). Self-enhancement tendencies among people with high explicit self-esteem: The moderating role of implicit self-esteem. Self & Identity, 2, 169-187.
- Swann, W. B., Jr., Bosson, J. K., & Pelham, B. W. (2002). Different partners, different selves: Strategic verification of circumscribed identities. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 28, 1215-1228.
- Bosson, J. K., Swann, W. B., Jr., & Pennebaker, J. (2000). Stalking the perfect measure of implicit self-esteem: The blind men and the elephant revisited? Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, 79, 631-643.
- Bosson, J. K., & Swann, W. B., Jr. (1999). Self-liking, self-competence, and the quest for self- verification. Personality & Social Psychology Bulletin, 25, 1230-1241.
- Brennan, K. A., & Bosson, J. K. (1998). Attachment-style differences in attitudes toward and reactions to feedback from romantic partners: An exploration of the relational bases of self-esteem. Personality & Social Psychology Bulletin, 24, 699-714.
- Campbell, W. K., Sedikides, C., & Bosson, J. K. (1994). Romantic involvement, self-discrepancy, and psychological well-being: A preliminary investigation. Personal Relationships, 1, 399-404.
- Bosson, J. K., & Swann, W. B., Jr. (2001). The paradox of the sincere chameleon: Strategic self-verification in romantic relationships. In J. H. Harvey & A. E. Wenzel (Eds.), Close Romantic Relationships: Maintenance and Enhancement (pp. 67-86). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Bosson, J. K. (2006). Conceptualization, measurement, and functioning of nonconscious self- esteem. In M. Kernis (Ed.), Self-esteem issues and answers: A sourcebook of current perspectives (pp. 53-59). London: Psychology Press.
- Classic Issues in Social Psychology
- Introductory Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Social Psychology of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stereotypes and Prejudice
Jennifer K. Bosson
Department of Psychology, PCD4118G
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Avenue
Tampa, FL 33620
- Phone: (813) 974-2492
- Fax: (813) 974-4617